Friday, June 1, 2018

The real optimization problem

Dear Erwin,

Good Morning!!.

I am doing my Master's Degree in Computer Science.

Currently, I am doing some research on Facility Location Problem Optimization. I came across your answers on stackoverflow and your blog as well. Your findings are really helpful, I appreciate you for this. Really well structured and clearly understandable. Mathematical models are well explained.

I kindly request you, If you provide small implementation code in JAVA/Python it will be very helpful. So that I can understand the concept deeply.

Thanks for your time and consideration.

Kindest Regards,

This question is about [1]. I did not use Java or Python to solve the models discussed there. So my answer was easy: sorry.

However, I am a bit uncomfortable with questions like this. Is "research" really not more than just emailing and copy/paste from replies? Should a CS student doing his Master's thesis not be able to translate a detailed (but simple) mathematical model to working code? Would you not learn much more by actually implementing the model yourself?

Often, I find the process to reproduce results in a paper very good way to get a good understanding of the issues. I prefer a mathematical model, or pseudo code if an algorithm needs to be implemented. Just copy/paste is hardly ever a good idea.

I have the feeling the real underlying optimization problem is: minimize effort. Or to make it sound better: maximize efficiency.

I am probably a bit too harsh.

References


  1. Solving a facility location problem as an MIQCP, http://yetanothermathprogrammingconsultant.blogspot.com/2018/01/solving-facility-location-problem-as.html

No comments:

Post a Comment