Not an easy task, as can be seen here:
To really appreciate the features of a modeling system requires quite some investment. When comparing more systems, also often a “least common denominator” model is used. Some issues are more specialized, such as:
- Is there support for non-linear programming
- Performance characteristics for very large models
- Ability to do data manipulation efficiently
- Ability to write tailored algorithms if the model is not amenable to standard solution methods (see e.g. http://yetanothermathprogrammingconsultant.blogspot.com/2012/01/dinkelbachs-algorithm.html)
- Ability to debug large models and view large data sets
Some of these points are more difficult to evaluate and to weigh in a comparison.
PS: see comment below for some other interesting capabilities.