Bo Jensen at http://www.sulumoptimization.com announced the availability of a new commercial LP solver. Some first impressions:
- LP (+network) only for now, MIP will come later.
- Aggressively priced compared to the big ones (Cplex, Gurobi). I can see this can be a very attractive offering in certain cases.
- But it has a nasty license manager (somehow I always have troubles with these). The other commercial guys have similar drawbacks.
- I think if you have a single license you can solve one LP at the time (a result of the previous point).
- Low level API. In many cases, to be efficient you will need to use some more advanced modeling tools.
The product seems to be well-positioned between the Open Source offerings such as Lp-Solve, GLPK and CBC and the heavy guns (Cplex, Gurobi, Xpress).